Newly Introduced Bill Focuses on Moving Expenses for Feds

Moving Expenses for Federal Employees would be reimbursed if proposed bill passes

The FBI Agents Association and NARFE (National Active and Retired Federal Employees Association) have joined several other groups that advocate on behalf of Feds in supporting a bill recently introduced in Congress by the Democrat Senator of Virginia, Mark Warner. The legislation addresses an issue that arose with the passage of last year’s tax reform. Essentially, job-related moving costs and reimbursements or payments from an employer in relation to a relocating employee were no longer eligible for taxation deductions. Several lawmakers, most of whom represent districts heavily populated with Federal workers, wrote a letter to the GSA (General Services Administration) arguing Federal employees who move often do so for a solitary purpose- fulfilling their civic duty of serving the country. The GSA responded by clarifying rules so they allow agencies to repay 95% of their labor force for not just moving costs, but the newly accompanying tax burden as well. The Relocation Expense Parity Act would fill this gap for the remaining 5% (about 25,000 Feds). New and retiring employees constitute the majority of this 5%, which includes teachers working for the Department of Defense and newly acquired agents for the FBI.

Until Next Time,

    **Written by Benjamin Derge, Financial Planner. The information has been obtained from sources considered reliable but we do not guarantee that the foregoing material is accurate or complete. Any opinions are those of Benjamin Derge and not necessarily those of RJFS or Raymond James. Links are being provided for information purposes only. Expressions of opinion are as of this date and are subject to change without notice. Raymond James is not affiliated with and does not endorse, authorize, or sponsor any of the listed websites or their respective sponsors.           

Moving Expenses for Feds